Thursday, December 18, 2008

The dearth of posting on this site has not been intentional. Far from it. I can hear all of you shaking your heads and saying, he's lazy, he doesn't post because he's lazy, and he's lying to us about that right now. But really, that's not the case. Really.

I've actually been trying to post this for quite some time. For some odd reason, when we switched over to AT&T's "Uverse" for our cable and phone and internet, I haven't been able to post pictures on blogger. (If anyone knows the solution to this, please comment.) So, I have forwarded these photos of our latest project to a secret off-site location that I go to during the day. And I'll post them from here. But keep that just between us, m'kay?

As several of you already know, the little bride has been after me to build bookcases in the den for her gi-normous collection of crafting/art/sewing/silliness books. I put her off for some time by telling her that we need a cabinet shop to do cabinet work, and she's been quite forthcoming in helping me to put that together. Then I put her off by saying that she needed to complete at least one project. I honestly can't remember if she actually did that or if she bamboozled me, which she is prone to do. But we began work some weeks back on the den...

First we set up a production line process to cut out the shelves and other parts.

remember you can clicky the picky if you wanna see 'em bigger...

we're kind of skipping ahead a little here, and getting on with the installation. The miracle of time-lapse photography...

Here's a peek at the adjustment system we wound up going with. I found it on Charles Neal's website. It works well and is a good use of the scrap plywood left over from cutting out the carcass.

The system consists of 2 strips of plywood, 1.5" wide for each side of the section. They're all taped together and run through the dado blade on the table saw in 2 inch increments, utilizing a shop made jig for the spacing (much like a box joint jig, only bigger.)

This keeps the spacing exactly the same across all of the units and you insert a strip of wood in the slots as a support on each end to hold the shelf up. You'll notice in the photo above that the shelves are all notched at the corners to fit nicely in the unit.

You can see in this detail that we've taken the three carcasses and screwed them together at the sides. This proved to make the installation of the face frame a bit (no, a lot) more difficult due to some bowing, but this was mostly corrected with some long pipe clamps and a lot of cussing.

If you look closely, you can see the cussing.

Here's a little detail of the top of the base unit. We found this behemoth poplar board that was 14 feet long and over 13 inches wide to use as the counter top. I think it would be really fun to say that I used one of my hand planes to do the molding on the edges, but I don't have that profile yet, so it was routered on there the old fashioned way - with a big Ryobi router. As a side note, this turned out to be Ryobi's last project. He had been becoming more and more difficult to work with over the years, finally to the point where I had to put a clamp on him just to adjust the depth. All of that came to an end after this counter top, when Ryobi refused to loosen up and adjust even a little.

So, we're not going to replace him, we're going to use this as an opportunity to work entirely with hand tools from now on. Ha ha! Gotcha on that one! We bought a Porter Cable and he's a little dandy!
But I digress. Okay, here's the first unit complete. Sort of. The bride couldn't wait to get her books in there...

I still have to build the doors that go on the bottom. More on that later...

No comments: